Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Go Little Guy Go!


As I mentioned with my latest starter I decided to pluck a colony and through it into 35-40 mls of wort vs the 10-15 mls that I have been doing.  I was a little worried that that little colony would have trouble inoculating that volume of wort.  I am happy to report that that little Cry Havoc yeast had no problem showing that wort sample who is boss!

This postings pic is my little 50 ml ehrlymer with the Cry Havoc starter fermenting away on my stir plate.  Hopefully tonight I'm going to kick it up to 400-500 mls and in a few more days see if I can push more towards 2 liters.

I've got a big stout coming soon with an estimated OG of around 1.090 so I want to make sure that I've got lots of yeasties to handle it.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a guy in our club build up a 1L starter with the colony off of plate.

    I think believe that the yeast will keep growing if there is oxygen and nutrients, no matter what the size of container is.

    The problem is whether there is something else in the container that can out complete them before they can turn the environment hostile to other bugs.

    ReplyDelete